welcome

I'm glad you've decided to stop by and take a look at my blog. Please please please make comments. Please!

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's a new day, it's a new year

I am not all that fond of New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, the whole resolution setting and all the rest that comes with this time of year.  I do like new calendars and still buy a paper one for the wall, though the days of a fresh day timer with all those clean, blank pages as been replaced by my ever rotating electronic modes of keeping track of appointments.  Over the years, I have found that the resolutions or goals that I have set at other times of the year have been more successful or held over time.  I'm a bit unsure why that is, but I have a sneaking suspicion it is due to my stubbornness against doing things when everyone else is doing them, this is why I dislike "the Wave,"  never saw or read Dan Brown's book, "The DaVinci Code" and well, tend not to make resolutions around New Year's Day!

On the other hand, I feel as a person of faith and a person who leads others on that journey, I should have a sense of hope and to be able to articulate that for myself and to others.  So, allow me to be idealistic and non-specific, as I share some of my hopes for 2013
1.  Peace in the places and people who need it the most
2.  Reduced abuse of this earth we call home
3.  Flourishing of the arts in all its forms and mediums
4.  A clearer sense toward where the Holy Spirit is moving the church and/or what new forms of the church may be emerging
5.  An increased number of children to know that they are loved and cared for
6.  A greater sense of mutual understanding in the Middle East
7.  For most of us to be glad that the Mayan calendar was incorrect or misguided
8.  Less political posturing in all human institutions
9.  Reconciliation
10.  And finally, very specific and entirely frivolous, I hope there is less of me.  Hmmm, maybe that is both literal and metaphoric, in which case, it could also be less frivolous than I originallyy thought!

At first read, you may think these are cop-outs because they don't seem as specific or self-directed as goals or resolutions, but I find them more motivating.  If I am truly serious about these hopes, then I will do everything in my power to act in ways that might contribute to them, whether they be big or small or possibly even fail.  I also am more motivated by them because except for number 10, they don't feel like all the other resolutions people are setting out at the beginning of the year.  Remember, I am very stubborn. 

 Happy New Year to all!



No comments:

Post a Comment